Sunday, May 12, 2024

Sunday, May 12: Let us go then, you and I, exploring Switzerland!

After our long previous day, many students slept in. Regardless of the time of arising, students made their way to quaint cafes off city streets. The 'old town' is a designated pedestrian area, littered with charming fountains, engraved stones, patriotic flags, and quintessential European accents.

After our long previous day, many students slept in. Regardless of the time of arising, students made their way to quaint cafés off city streets. The 'old town' is a designated pedestrian area, littered with charming fountains, engraved stones, patriotic flags, and quintessential European accents.

Coffee and pastries provided energy for the next activity: an impromptu jaunt to Zurich. All students, excluding myself, boarded the train for a 15 minute ride to Zurich. Upon arrival, according to my sources, they split into two groups, covering the botanical gardens and the Swiss National Museum. Both groups toured the lake by boat and enjoyed lunch. They regrouped to have dinner together and coordinate their return home. All returned safely and in high spirits, indicating a successful trip.

Meanwhile, Professor Sobelman and I explored two locations for the Kunst Museum in Winterthur. The museum features works by famous artists, including Monet, Van Gogh, Picasso, Hans Arp, and many others. I was particularly inspired by a room dedicated to Mondrian art. One corner was decorated with a mobile by the artist Alexander Calder, the popular algorithms textbook, "Introduction to Algorithms" by Carmen et al., features a similar mobile. Though it was not a day of study, I appreciated this unexpected connection.

—Blog post by Liza