Saturday, May 21, 2022

Saturday, May 21: Hiking adventure

A few of us spent a free day traveling to Interlaken and then Grindelwald in pursuit of a hike. We took a train to Interlaken for a picnic and sightseeing. We got lunch at a co-op market where I got a sandwich, an apple, and a bag of chips for eight francs—not a bad deal. We had a picnic in a field and watched the para-gliders land just a few feet in front of us.

We then took another train to Grindelwald through a valley where we were able to see waterfalls that had formed from melting snow hundreds of meters above us. From Grindelwald we hiked about halfway up Eiger Mountain, stopping along the way to fill our water bottles with fountain water. 

My calves were sufficiently sore and I could feel my heartbeat in my feet but the view was incredible. We had bread and carrots overlooking the clouds rolling off the peaks from a small restaurant in Alpiglen.

On our way back down the mountain, we stopped at a self-serve farm shop to get fresh cheese and play with the farm cats.

After a long day of climbing and descending, we caught the last train back to Winterthur and zonked out when we got back.

--
Peyton O.