Wednesday, May 22, 2024

Wednesday, May 22: Start of Frackwoche and working day!

We started the morning with our Mensa breakfast. The yummy, warm croissants were back today, by far my favorite part of breakfast. After breakfast, we headed to the classroom to continue working on the robot.

On our walk to class, we learned that the students had set up an obstacle course at the school's main entrance. You can see my classmate, Myki, doing the obstacle course in the photo below.

This obstacle course is part of a fun tradition during Frackwoche, where the graduating students are allowed to block off the main entrance with an obstacle course each day until 9 a.m.

Now you may be wondering, what is Frackwoche? Frackwoche, also known as Tailcoat Week, is a yearly celebration held by the graduating class at the Zurich University of Applied Sciences, dating back to 1923. During that time, students who had completed their studies would wear tailcoats and sport beards to signify their transition to the adult world. The tradition was paused during World War II but has since returned. To this day, graduates wear tailcoats, beards, and old-timey dresses. During Frackwoche, graduating students play pranks on professors, put up fun memes around the school, and set up a mini festival outside the engineering school with good food and music.

After arriving at class, my group, consisting of Brady, Hunter, and myself, spent the morning redesigning the chassis. We had received our 3D print from the previous night and realized it needed A LOT of changes. During this time, we also finished our morning group assignment. We then went to lunch at the Mensa and ate some yummy food. Got my second FOCUSWATER of the day (caffeine 😊).

During our lunch break, we walked around, and I purchased a new pair of pants at a store that refurbishes old clothes in Old Town. Our sweet treat of the day was ice cream.We love a sweet treat. 

Then we returned to class, where my group finally finished with our CAD for the redesigned chassis which we designed to be modular as well as the ball catcher attachment. We started the print to hopefully get by tomorrow (we hope it’s our last design).

After class, we ended the day by dining at Frackwoche, using our Jetons (5 CHF). I got a hamburger with fries, which was super delicious. At this point, Frackwoche was in full swing, with tons of people around, music playing, and fun games set up for everyone to enjoy.

—Blog post by Augie