Monday, May 30, 2016

The Ugly Indian

We spent our morning with an organization called The Ugly Indian which works to inspire the community to beautify the city one small project at a time.
We spent our morning with an organization called The Ugly Indian. The purpose of this organization is to urge people of the community to beautify the city one small project at a time. Before beginning our project for the day, we got to learn a little bit more about why people started participating in these projects and how The Ugly Indian operates. As far as the set up of the organization goes, everything is very informal. Sites are selected based on the needs of the people and their own personal investment.

Examples of projects that they have done include the painting of walls to discourage people from spitting or urinating on them, as well as repaving and painting sidewalks that are in dire need of a little TLC. These projects are taken on solely by community members who see the common issue and pool money, time, and resources together to accomplish their goal rather than waiting for someone else to fix it. The notion of this is that when people see something beautiful they strive to maintain the beauty, as opposed to seeing something ugly and not caring if they add to the ugliness. For the most part, these projects have a large success.

Our project for the day was to paint a rundown cement wall that was only a few blocks away from where we were staying. The wall had been plastered with posters of politicians and various advertisements so our first job was stripping the wall of everything using pieces of metal and wire brushes.

After cleaning the wall and clearing dirt away from the curb of the sidewalk, we began to paint. The wall was painted red, which we learned was significant in that it was not affiliated with any political or religious groups that may cause opposition. The curb was also painted black and yellow. After this, the design was created using masking tape to section off various triangles that were then painted green, yellow, and white. After finishing this painting and removing the tape, the wall was finished and was absolutely beautiful.

While the experience in itself was extremely gratifying, the most amazing thing was the community response. People were walking by and stopping to watch and even help us paint. There were employees from the buildings across the street asking who we were and wondering how they could sign up! There were also several instances that we caused traffic jams for photos and other conversation. One of the coolest things that happened as a response to our project was a man removing a non-operational manhole and digging out the excessive amounts of dirt that had clogged the drain. Nobody asked him to do this but he saw the project happening and decided to contribute and restore the system to working order once more. This man embodied the spirit of The Ugly Indian movement by wanting to make a beautiful space more beautiful and that is something that we will all take away from our day of painting.

24 comments:

1. Way to go! Awesome effort from the Gopher-bunch! You're now world-renowned! :)

ReplyDelete
  2. As a Newbie, I am always exploring online for articles that can aid me. Thank you şişli ingilizce kursu

ReplyDelete
  3. very nice post, i undoubtedly really like this web site, persist with it Main Poker

ReplyDelete
  4. We carry an extensive selection of products for our customers to choose from. In addition to our extensive selection of swords, customers will find the best prices available online.  Swords For Sale

ReplyDelete
  5. I’m impressed, I must say. Actually rarely should i encounter a weblog that’s both educative and entertaining, and let me tell you, you’ve hit the nail within the head. Your thought is outstanding; the thing is something that too little consumers are speaking intelligently about. I’m happy that we came across this during my hunt for some thing in regards to this. Alexander Mirza

ReplyDelete
  6. I savour, result in I found just what I was taking a look for. You’ve ended my four day lengthy hunt! God Bless you man. Have a great day. Bye Kaca film

ReplyDelete
  7. wonderful post, very informative. I wonder why the other experts of this sector do not notice this. You should continue your writing. I’m confident, you have a great readers’ base already! Mcdvoice.com

ReplyDelete
  8. I think your blog is very popular on this topic judging by all the other comments posted to it whocall.biz

ReplyDelete
  9. great issues altogether, you simply won brand new reader. What may you recommend about your put up that you made a few days ago? Any positive? distributor celana dalam

ReplyDelete
  10. Spot i’ll carry on with this write-up, I must say i think this site requirements far more consideration. I’ll oftimes be once more to study additional, appreciate your that information. WHEELCHAIR TRANSPORTATION

ReplyDelete
  11. Nice post. I was checking constantly this blog and I’m impressed! Very helpful information specifically the last part I care for such information much. I was seeking this particular info for a long time. Thank you and best of luck. situs judi online

ReplyDelete
  12. I your writing style truly loving this web site . best wordpress hosting

ReplyDelete
  13. I went over this web site and I think you have a lot of superb info , saved to my bookmarks (:. male enlargement pills

ReplyDelete
  14. A very very interesting article! I’ll try to track that continues here! Thank you. greatday hr

ReplyDelete
  15. I have been meaning to read this and just never obtained a chance. It’s an issue that I’m really interested in, I just started reading and I’m glad I did. You’re a fantastic blogger, one of the best that I’ve seen. This weblog undoubtedly has some facts on topic that I just wasn’t aware of. Thanks for bringing this stuff to light. Cerrajeros Alicante

ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks a lot for giving everyone an extraordinarily memorable chance to read in detail from this site. It is often so brilliant and packed with a lot of fun for me and my office acquaintances to search your site nearly thrice in a week to read through the latest items you will have. And definitely, I’m certainly astounded considering the exceptional ideas you serve. Certain two points in this post are really the most beneficial we’ve ever had. abstract oil painting

ReplyDelete
  17. Permainan menarik dan sangat menjanjikan bisa anda dapatkan dibawah ini!

Tentu saja dengan minimal deposit rendah dan Bonus Berlimpah:
    Pingbacks : Indotogel
    Pingbacks : Indotogel
    Pingbacks : Indotogel
    Pingbacks : Indotogel
    Pingbacks : Indotogel
    Pingbacks : Indotogel
    Pingbacks : Indotogel
    Pingbacks : Indotogel
    Pingbacks : Indotogel
    Pingbacks : Indotogel

ReplyDelete
  18. When I originally commented I clicked the -Notify me when new surveys are added- checkbox now when a comment is added I receive four emails with similar comment. Will there be however you possibly can get rid of me from that service? Thanks! tradestation server

ReplyDelete
  19. Youre so cool! I dont suppose Ive read anything this way before. So nice to seek out somebody with some original ideas on this subject. realy appreciate beginning this up. this excellent website can be something that is needed on the internet, a person with some originality. beneficial job for bringing something new towards the web! tradestation programming

ReplyDelete
  20. This comment has been removed by the author.

ReplyDelete
  21. it is sometimes kinda sad to watch some episode of Army Wives specially when there is a dead soldier** multicharts server

ReplyDelete