Monday, May 30, 2016

Queensland University of Technology

Today we visited the science and engineering center of Queensland University of Technology (QUT), called the Cube.
Today we visited the science and engineering center of Queensland University of Technology (QUT), called the Cube. It boasts the biggest facility for visualization and simulation in the world, and a 5-star green star rating, which is a sustainability rating system for buildings in Australia.

At the entrance, we were greeted with two-story tall screens that had interactive sections. At the time, there was a display on dinosaurs, and as the dinos ran across the screens, you could reach out and pet them. While we were only able to experience the dino display, the theme of the display changes at various points of the day.

Our host was professor Gary Rasmussen who showed us around the facility, including their roof, which houses three rotating solar panels that track the sun and move accordingly.

We also visited the lab of Dr. Ajay Pandey, who specializes in medical robotics and orthopedic surgery. He is developing technologies that accurately scan and reconstruct bones in cases that are so severe even a surgeon is unable to properly identify bone fragments. Next, we heard from QUT students Kaitlyn and David about school life, and two of our students gave a brief presentation about life at Minnesota. It was interesting to contrast the two systems and their different focuses. We later met with Dr. Matt Dunbabin who is leading a great effort to neutralize an invasive starfish destroying the coral reefs called the Crown-of-Thorns starfish. He had developed a small submarine-type vessel called COTSbot, which is able to recognize the starfish on ocean floors and inject it with a saline solution which then kills it.

Finally, we met with Dr. Mia Woodruff’s team who are doing fascinating work 3D printing tissue scaffolding for implantation, which they inject with the patient's cells. And as the cells multiply, the scaffolding then dissolves away, leaving a perfect implant which the body recognizes as itself. They are also working on 3D printing ears for children who suffer from microtia and developing these ears into hearing aids or cochlear implants, essentially building a new working ear for these children. As beautiful campus leading innovative research efforts, I think it is safe to say QUT may be one of the group's favorite universities yet, also, they gave us all free hats.

15 comments:

1. Thankyou for this post, I am a big big fan of this web site would like to proceed updated. Media box

ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the one of the nicest blogs i have read in a while. yakinqq

ReplyDelete
  3. certainly like your website but you have to check the spelling on quite a few of your posts. A number of them are rife with spelling problems and I find it very troublesome to tell the truth nevertheless I’ll certainly come back again. ┼čirinevler ingilizce kursu

ReplyDelete
  4. I like what you guys are up also. Such smart work and reporting! Carry on the superb works guys I’ve incorporated you guys to my blogroll. I think it’ll improve the value of my web site . All season windshield wiper fluid

ReplyDelete
  5. Can I recently say that of a relief to discover someone that actually knows what theyre talking about over the internet. You actually discover how to bring a challenge to light to make it important. The diet have to look at this and fully grasp this side Main Poker

ReplyDelete
  6. Be in control, Be in charge. If you want super level access and complete control of your operating system then our VPS hosting plan & Dedicated Servers are for you. web hosting company 

ReplyDelete
  7. Can I just now say thats a relief to discover a person that really knows what theyre dealing with online. You certainly have learned to bring an issue to light to make it critical. Lots more people must read this and understand why side of the story. I cant believe youre no more well-known simply because you undoubtedly contain the gift. post cycle therapy

ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you so much regarding giving me personally an update on this theme on your web page. Please realize that if a new post becomes available or if any modifications occur to the current publication, I would be considering reading a lot more and focusing on how to make good usage of those approaches you reveal. Thanks for your efforts and consideration of other individuals by making this site available. l arginine supplement

ReplyDelete
  9. Hello, i think that i saw you visited my site thus i came to “return the favor”.I am trying to find things to enhance my web site!I suppose its ok to use some of your ideas!! best digestive enzyme supplements

ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for all your valuable hard work on this website. Betty takes pleasure in engaging in research and it’s really obvious why. I learn all relating to the lively way you render rewarding items on this blog and even improve contribution from the others on this concept so my princess is without a doubt starting to learn a lot of things. Take pleasure in the rest of the year. You have been doing a dazzling job. ketones weight loss

ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

ReplyDelete
  13. Almost all I can say is, I’m not sure what to express! Except certainly, for the great tips which have been shared within this blog. I’ll think of a million fun approaches to read the articles or blog posts on this site. I’m sure I will finally take a step employing your tips on those things I could not have been able to address alone. You are so innovative to let me be one of those to profit from your valuable information. Please know how much I enjoy the whole thing. home page

ReplyDelete
  14. We offer a large selection of historically accurate functional battle ready swords from the top forges. Swords For Sale

ReplyDelete
  15. I definitely wanted to jot down a note to be able to express gratitude to you for all of the wonderful tactics you are giving on this site. My time-consuming internet search has now been paid with incredibly good ideas to exchange with my best friends. I ‘d suppose that we visitors are very much blessed to be in a remarkable network with so many outstanding people with insightful opinions. I feel rather blessed to have used the web pages and look forward to many more fun times reading here. Thank you again for everything. 7plus Benefit

ReplyDelete